ECU schools to merge, in learning shake-up

ECU Joondalup

Alfeewusy

ECU Joondalup

Tiffany Warne, Staff reporter

With funding uncertainty and student needs constantly evolving, Edith Cowan University (ECU) has today proposed major changes to the way the university is structured.

ECU Vice-Chancellor Professor Steve Chapman plans to remove the four faculties, and merge the current 14 schools into eight.

He also wants the current support roles, such as research writing consultants and learning advisors, to be rolled into a new Centre for Teaching and Learning.

“The changes are designed to ensure ECU is more responsive to the changing higher education environment and able to take advantage of new opportunities to boost our teaching and research capacity,” he said in a press release.

Students will be not be immediately impacted by any changes, the Vice Chancellor said, and ECU would continue to consult staff until mid-October.

The process has so far involved 18 staff discussion forums and 150 written submissions, as Professor Chapman aims to make ECU more flexible and responsive.

In order to give students a blended service experience, the current Student Information Offices (which are kept within faculties) may join the existing Student Services Centre.

By removing an administrative layer, Professor Chapman said he hoped challenges such as increasing competition would become new opportunities for the university.

No changes are due to be until early 2016 to avoid disruption to student learning.

According to the Good Universities Guide 2015, ECU was rated the maximum five stars for the seventh time for teaching quality.

“A university education is valuable investment in your future, whether you’re a school leaver, a mature age student or an international student,” said Professor Chapman.

Tiffany Warne, Staff reporter

Tiff is a 22-year-old student with a passion for card tricks and solving Rubik's cubes. She is currently in her second year of university at ECU Mt Lawley...