ECU students make Miss West Coast top 24

James Williams, Staff Reporter

Four ECU students have placed in the final 24 of the Miss West Coast Competition held at The Breakwater, in Hillarys on Saturday.

Amy Mcstravick, Ebony Walton and Holly Howard will all have the chance to be crowned Miss West Coast and potentially represent Western Australia at Miss Universe Australia later on in the year.

The fourth is South African-born Venine Palm. She was one of the first 10 through to the State Final when she was selected at Hotel Rottnest last weekend.

We asked Venine how it feels to be in the home stretch.

How did you feel when your name was announced in the final 24?

I felt so overwhelmed but more so blessed to have the opportunity to continue this journey. My name was the second last to be called, so it was quite nerve racking.

What would it means to you to represent Western Australia at Miss Universe Australia?

It would be exciting to show the other states how privileged us Perth girls are. Representing WA would mean that I would get the opportunity to do something for my state and show my appreciation for everything this wonderful state, city, and its people have done for me. It would be an unreal experience.

What inspires you in life?

My family. That is the most important thing to me. My parents have been at every work, educational, or extra-curricular event I have had, cheering me on. I think that my family are the only people who know the real me. They help me see things clearly and always strive to help me succeed.

Who is your biggest role model?

Former Miss Universe Australia, Scherri-Lee Biggs. She has taken the opportunity she was given to create career opportunities for herself. That’s also what prompted me to do this competition. She now works in the media industry, which is an area I would be hoping to work in the future. This competition has helped me with my confidence and improved my public speaking skills, along with many other things.

What’s something people probably wouldn’t guess about you?

I absolutely love playing board games. If I had a free night I would probably choose to play board games. I know it’s not the typical answer but I would play Monopoly for hours on a Friday night.

What’s your life motto?

It would be something like Lao Tzu once said…“Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.”

You can follow Venine’s journey on Instragram @veninepalm

The State final for the Miss West Coast Contest will be held at Matisse Beach Club in Scarborough on Friday the 8th of April.