What’s On: Oktoberfest

Oktoberfest In The Gardens

www.OktoberfestInTheGardens.com.

Oktoberfest In The Gardens

Vesh Arumugam, Reporter

It’s time to don your lederhosen again! Oktoberfest is just around the corner.

Originating from the world’s largest beer festival, held annually in Munich, Germany, Oktoberfest is traditionally a 16 to 18 day folk festival running from mid or late September to the first weekend in October, with more than 6 million people from around the world attending the event every year.

But you don’t have to fly to Germany to enjoy the festivities. Below is a list of Oktoberfest celebrations happening across the city in the next month.

Elmar’s in the Valley

Perth’s biggest German establishment, Elmar’s Brewery, is expanding its Oktoberfest event this year with more vendors and a larger space to accommodate more than 2000 people.

Beers available on the day include Ein Stein Pilsner, Kick Back Wheat, Over Draught Alt Ale, Schwarz Bier, and Märzen, a traditional German Oktoberfest beer, which they brew during March and condition until October. Bottomless drinks and unlimited access to beers will be offered on the day.

Along with enjoying different types of German beers, you’ll be able to take part in many fun Oktoberfest-style games, including stein holding, Bratwurst eating and tug-of-war.

Beer enthusiast, Rushan Nanayakkara, has attended almost all of the Elmar’s Oktoberfest’s in previous years and plans to attend this years event, “I like my beer to be pure and awesome, so I’m really looking forward to Elmar’s Oktoberfest.”

Running across three weekends, the 18+ events will be held on 14 and 21 October and an all ages event on 22 October.

For more information, click here.

Edith Cowan University 

Oktoberfest returns to ECU for the fourth year running. Starting at 3pm-late on 22 September, attendees at Building 1 on the Joondalup campus can expect live German music at the start of the event and DJs will take over the stage in the evening. Pop-up Hofbrau & Pimm’s bars will be serving beer, spirits and cider. There will be food trucks offering pretzels and bratwurst, as well as local fare.

The ECU Student Guild has said non-ECU students are welcome under conditions, “We have a 1:1 ratio for ECU students to non-students. So non-ECU students are more than welcome to come, but they must attend with an ECU student,” said an ECU Student Guild spokesperson.

One of ECU’s undergraduate students, Jason Duffin said that he is looking forward to the event, “it’s probably one of my favourite events of the year, I cannot wait.”

ECU Student Guild said that the preparation for the event is going well and tickets are selling out fast.

For more information and tickets, click here.

Oktoberfest at Murdoch

Oktoberfest will be celebrated at the Murdoch University Tavern on 12 October from 12pm-10pm. There will be fun activities to take part in such as sack races, keg throw and stein races. Attendees will enjoy beer and Jägerbombs at the bar and food specials from the Tavern kitchen.

Sharnee Eliza Reid, Murdoch alumni, said she has enjoyed Oktoberfest at Murdoch in previous years, “I went four years ago and it was a great event. It had great atmosphere and good people. I think they did a good job with food, games and setup.”

For more information, click here.

Langley Park in the CBD

On Saturday October 7 from 1pm to 9pm Langley Park will be packed with beer lovers. Two big top beer hall will be set up, There will be German food stalls, roving performers, sideshow alley, silent disco and an eclectic mix of entertainment and competitions across multiple stages throughout the afternoon and evening.

For more info click here.

Other Oktoberfest events to check out:

22 September- 25 September: Last Drop Beeliar

22 September: Charlie’s Bar, Perth

7 October: Marine Lounge Fremantle, Beer Market

14 October: Duckstein Brewery, Henley Brook

Drink responsibly.