Want to control your dreams?

Apanda Anyuon, Reporter

If you dream often, I’m sure you’ve wanted to control your dreams. What if there was a way for you to control what you dream about?

A new study from the University of Adelaide now says you can. The new research has found that a specific combination of techniques will increase people’s chances of having lucid dreams, in which the dreamer is aware they’re dreaming while it’s still happening and can control the experience.

The authors describe lucid dreaming as a learnable skill and has a wide range of potential applications. However, research in this area has been limited by a lack of effective and reliable lucid dream induction techniques.

Although many techniques exist for inducing lucid dreams, previous studies have reported low success rates, preventing researchers from being able to study the potential benefits and applications of lucid dreaming.

Dr Denholm Aspy’s research in the University of Adelaide’s School of Psychology is aimed at addressing this problem and developing more effective lucid dream induction techniques.

The present study provides a thorough investigation into three of the most promising cognitive lucid dream induction techniques; reality testing, wake back to bed (WBTB), and the mnemonic induction of lucid dreams (MILD) technique.

The results from his studies, now published in the journal Dreaming, have confirmed that people can increase their chances of having a lucid dream.

“These results take us one step closer to developing highly effective lucid dream induction techniques that will allow us to study the many potential benefits of lucid dreaming, such as treatment for nightmares and improvement of physical skills and abilities through rehearsal in the lucid dream environment,” Dr Aspy said.

The study was conducted on a group of 47 people who combined all three techniques. The results showed that participants achieved a 17% success rate in having lucid dreams over the period of just one week – significantly higher compared to a baseline week where they didn’t practice any techniques.

The journal article goes into more details of what lucid dreaming is and the techniques that help you learn to control your dreams.

Apanda Anyuon, ECU Reporter

Apanda is an adventurous young journalist who has a passion for sports and arts. She has always been interested in the entertainment industry and has done...

Want to control your dreams?