The Talk, on stage

Image by Cameron Etchells

Image by Cameron Etchells

Image by Cameron Etchells

Olivia Morris, Reporter

The Talk – No, not that awkward conversation you have with either your parents or children – is a performance showcasing in Subiaco this coming week.

In saying that, The Talk is based on that “talk” that you had with your parents about the birds and the bees. Remember it? Probably not, as most people try to forget it.

The play was written and directed by Gita Bezard and presented by the production company The Last Hunt. The production is about Eva, a 15-year-old girl played by Christina Odam and all she wants is answers. No more condom demonstrations or close-up slides of chlamydia. She needs honesty, and she’s not afraid to ask for it.

Director and writer Gita said her inspiration for the play was how, in the past 10-15 years, the internet has changed what teenagers can access and how the conversation that adults have hasn’t changed at all.

“We are still very reluctant to go beyond, you know, ‘use condoms’, but they can go on the internet and at the drop of a hat find hardcore pornography. It’s about the real disparity of those two things.”

Gita said she hopes the audiences will leave the  upcoming production having had a great time.

“It’s a comedy, but I’d also really like if parents came with their teenagers, and that it opens up a conversation. We’re not providing answers, we’re just trying to help open that up a bit more and maybe if that could be a catalyst for a family that would be amazing.”

The Talk is running from April 11 to 21 at Subiaco Arts Centre and you can buy tickets here.

The Talk, on stage