Look out Scarborough, The Aussies are coming

Scarborough Beach (CC BY 2.0)

Scarborough Beach (CC BY 2.0)

Image by Jay-Oh

Image by Jay-Oh

Scarborough Beach (CC BY 2.0)

Katie Hully, Reporter

The Australian Surf Life Saving Championships, or “The Aussies”, start at Scarborough Beach on Saturday and run for eight days. The national annual event was last held in WA in 2014.

This year it includes a 2km ocean swim event that is open to all members of the public, as well as surf club members. Registrations for this event close online at 9pm on April 14.

In total, 311 surf clubs with more than 5000 competitors, from every state in Australia and some international competitors, will be at Scarborough Beach competing in over 400 beach and ocean events.

As well as the huge number of competitors, Scarborough Beach will also be covered by thousands of support crews and spectators.

This year’s event will be one of the world’s largest ocean sports events, showcasing WA.

The WA Government is supporting the event, through Tourism WA, as part Tourism WA’s plan to increase visitor numbers over the next two years.

Tourism Minister Paul Papalia said:  “A lot has changed since Western Australia last hosted the championships in 2014, with Scarborough undergoing a $100 million revitalisation to make it one of Australia’s best beachfront destinations.

“Mass participation events such as The Aussies are important as they encourage high levels of visitation which helps to fill our hotel rooms, boost our economy, add vibrancy to the State, and help promote the State through media exposure”.

Papalia also congratulated the event organisers and wished “all the competitors the best of luck”.

The Youth Championships will commence the carnival on Saturday 14 and again on Sunday 15 of April, followed by the Masters on Monday 16 and Tuesday 17 with the open competition from Wednesday 18 and then concluding with the finals on Sunday April 22.