Perth’s newest music festival

Sola Rosa ready to play

Sola Rosa ready to play

Image supplied

Image supplied

Sola Rosa ready to play

Sasha Parissis, ECU Reporter

Reverb Festival is on this weekend in Perth from April 13 to 15. Hosted over three days at G.O Edwards Park, Burswood WA, the inaugural event is set to attract more than 10,000 people.

With music from international and local artists such as The Jezabels, The Preatures, Xavier Rudd and Sola Rosa, event-goers can expect a wide range of music from indie-pop, electronic, dance and Australian rock.

The 18+ event starts on Friday with gates opening at 4pm. As the event is licensed, no I.D. means no entry.

Saturday night, from 3pm to 11pm is the sold-out summer party ‘Seasons Saturday’. There will be food trucks, bars and many DJs throughout the day. With around 5,000 people expected to attend, ‘Seasons Saturday’ is set to be a crowd-pleaser.

Reverb’s Creative Director Josh Horton said the event is unlike any music festival Perth has had before.

“Unlike other festivals that are forced to drive the ticket price up by having multiple stages and huge single-day lineups where you are always forced to choose between your favourite artists, we have split the genres over the three days, so you never miss your acts.”

He said, “It’s very rare to see a three-day line up this close to the Perth CBD and with the casino right next door, you can stay in luxury and just walk over the road.”

Horton said female empowerment was a focus when deciding which artists to invite.

“Friday has a very female-led line-up. There has been huge chatter in the media about the lack of female frontline artists in the festival scene. So, The Jezabels are getting plenty of chatter followed by The Preatures.”

There will be free onsite parking for those wishing to travel by car. As well as additional parking located on Burswood Road and Hawthorne Place.

Public transport is recommended as G.O Edward Park is located 400m from Burswood train station and only 300m from Victoria Park bus station.

As explained on the event’s website, the festival is 100% cash-free.

“When purchasing a ticket you will be issued with an RFID band. This band is used when you wish to enter the venue with your 1 day or weekend pass. Just scan it at the gate and away you go. This is also where you pre-load money to be spent at the bars or food stands.

“Pre-loading can be done via the website, an app or on loading stations located around the venue. This way you don’t have to worry about ATM lines, ATM Fees or carrying your wallet around all day. Just tap and go!”

Andrew Spraggon from the Kiwi band Sola Rosa, said he is looking forward to performing in Perth once again.

“We’ve been to Perth before but not for a few years, so we’ve been super excited to get back and to be involved with this event. Great line-up too.”

Spraggon continued, “We’re feeling ready for Reverb. We’ve been performing a bit recently in NZ over the summer and the band is sounding great. It’s going to be a fun road trip!”

With a 45 minute set on ‘Sublime Sunday’, one can expect to hear a range of styles from the band.

“We generally try not to describe our music style as Sola Rosa is a real mix of influences. There’s soul in all its many forms, especially neo-soul, hip-hop, reggae, lounge, exotica…the list goes on!”

If you are heading to the festival, but are unsure which acts to check out, see the list below for a breakdown of music genres.

If you like rock, then you should check out:
– The Jezabels
– Cloud Control
– The Preatures
– Sloan Peterson

If you like indie-pop, then you should listen too:
– Maddy Jane
– E^ST
– Aislie Wills
– The Beautiful Girls

If you like folk then you should not miss:
– Xavier Rudd
– Little Quirks
– The Hunting Birds

If you are looking for something new and different, then you should definitely watch:
– Sola Rosa
– DJ General Justice
– DJ Nicole Filev

Tickets for Friday 13 and Sunday 15 are still available via the Reverb website.

Sasha Parissis, Reporter
Sasha is a young broadcaster who hopes to one day be a radio presenter for 92.9 or Nova 93.7. She is interested in languages, she is learning both Greek and French, and enjoys volunteering at her local radio station 6EBA FM World Radio as a radio producer. Related
Perth’s newest music festival