West Aussies shining at the Commonwealth Games

Commonwealth+Games+mascot+Borobi+learns+to+surf+on+the+Gold+Coast.%0ASource%3A+Tourism+and+Events+Queensland+

Commonwealth Games mascot Borobi learns to surf on the Gold Coast.
Source: Tourism and Events Queensland

Commonwealth Games mascot Borobi learns to surf on the Gold Coast. Source: Tourism and Events Queensland

Rebecca Low, Newsvine WA Reporter

The Commonwealth Games in the Gold Coast have seen our athletes performing under pressure, giving Australia their all at every opportunity this week.

Australia is currently sitting on top of the medal tally with England trailing behind in second.

According to an article by the Western Australian Institute of Sport (WAIS), “Six of Australia’s 73 medals earned can be accounted for by Western Australian swimmers.”

These medals were won by Blair Evans, Katherine Downie and Zac Incerti taking home bronze. Holly Barratt took home silver after the women’s 50m butterfly and Brianna Throssell won a gold in the women’s 4 x 200m freestyle relay along with a bronze medal in the women’s 100m butterfly.

“Whilst the swimming is over for the 2018 Commonwealth Games, our Western Australian athletes have shown great success as well as great promise for the future,” WAIS said.

Swimming is not the only sport that West Australian athletes have excelled in. Matthew Glaetzer competed in the kilometer time trial for cycling, bringing in a gold medal for Australia, while Caitlin Parker won her quarter final in boxing and is now advancing to the semi-finals.

Overall, there are 28 WA athletes involved in this year’s Commonwealth Games. They qualified in areas representing swimming, athletics, cycling, hockey, basketball, boxing, diving, netball and shooting.

The WA athletes make up only about 6% of the Australian team, but that doesn’t mean they are not making their mark at the games, as seen with the swimming results and the games aren’t over yet.

“The Diamonds left the Australian netball community speechless today after defeating Fiji 108-23,” according to WAIS on Monday.

Both the WA athletes in the team received approval for the line-up at the start of the game with Courtney Bruce in goal keeper and Caitlin Bassett in goal shooter.

“Bassett, once again, had impressive stats nailing 40 from 41 goals giving her a final percentage of 98%,” said WAIS.

The team remains undefeated for five consecutive games and is set to compete in the final on Sunday. Other Australian teams, such as the Kookaburras, and singles competitors will be finishing up in the coming days.

Mick Murray, Sport and Recreation Minister for WA said in a media statement, “Having the chance to represent Australia at a home Commonwealth Games is something truly special for our athletes – and we wish them well.”

The games is running until April 15 when at the closing ceremony the baton will be passed to the 2022 Commonwealth Games, bringing the competition to a close.

Rebecca Low, Reporter

Rebecca is a positive student studying her Bachelor of Media and Communications, majoring in Broadcasting. She aims to work in the news world after finishing...