Pipeline Challenge: PvP not PVC

Pipeline Challenge: PvP not PVC

The Pipeline Challenge is on again

The Pipeline Challenge is on again

Image from Erica Blaney

The Pipeline Challenge is on again

Image from Erica Blaney

Image from Erica Blaney

The Pipeline Challenge is on again

Jacob Vantuil, Reporter

The 2018 Pipeline Challenge is back for the third consecutive year and will be held from Saturday, May 5 to Wednesday, May 9. This year 70 riders will make the epic adrenaline-fueled trip.

The Pipeline Challenge is a five-day charity mountain bike race for teams of three to five cyclists. The ride takes participants 600+ km along the Golden Pipeline Trail from Kalgoorlie to Perth, to raise awareness and funds for Youth Futures WA, who are looking out for youth homelessness.

“The Pipeline Challenge is a unique way test your limits, enjoy the great Aussie outdoors and spend some quality time with mates, all while helping to raise funds for Youth Futures, one of the oldest youth charities in the state,” said Youth Futures CEO Mark Waite.

If you’re looking to challenge your mates or yourself both physically and mentally then here is what you’ll need to know in order to participate.

The challenge runs across a seven-day period in which each team must cover a certain distance specified in the team riders’ manual. Each team will need to be self-sufficient and will need to provide; a support vehicle, a trailer or bike rack, spare bikes or tires and a collection of other minor equipment is listed here on the Pipeline Challenge website.

How fit do I need to be?

According to event organiser Erica Blaney, the Pipeline Challenge is suitable for everyone of any level of fitness. Competitors as young as nine years old have completed the challenge.

When asked about the technicality and competitiveness of the challenge Blaney said: “The Pipeline Challenge is more about camaraderie and highlighting the issue of youth homelessness than completing the ride in the quickest time possible. While we do have many mountain bike enthusiasts pushing their limits, the course has been designed so that it is still achievable for novices, so long as they do their training.”

This doesn’t mean you won’t have to train leading up to the event, as experience and some level of cardiovascular fitness will be beneficial when taking part. The Pipeline Challenge coordinators recommend teams participate in a relay-style, which makes the longer days such as the 180km leg from Coolgardie to Southern Cross easier and a lot more achievable.

Registrations closed on March 30, however, preparations for the 2019 challenge are underway. This year’s Pipeline Challenge will be the biggest event yet.

Blaney said: “This is the third Pipeline Challenge event so far, we will have 70 participants this year. The first event had 36 participants – we hope it will continue growing in popularity each year as word spreads.”

The details for this year’s race can be found on the Pipeline Challenge website, as well as a “typical day” layout for the duration of the event, in case you’d like to follow along and plan any preparations for next years’ event.

Jacob Vantuil, Reporter

Jacob Van Tuil is a third year Media and Communication, Film and Broadcasting, student. His goal is to change the traditional way media is delivered to...

Pipeline Challenge: PvP not PVC