WA Day on the Quay

Source%3A+MRA
Source: MRA

Source: MRA

Source: MRA

Rebecca Low, Reporter

WA Day 2018 Festival is coming up next month from June 1-4 with festivities happening across Perth, Mandurah, Bunbury, Albany and many more places.

While the festival boasts events for foodies, fun-seekers and families, it also hosts one of the State’s largest free music festivals, State of the Art (SOTA).

The annual SOTA music festival celebrates local talent who call WA home and is concluding WA Day on June 4.

SOTA will be at Elizabeth Quay this year and the musical line up has just been announced.

Some of the acts include:

• Birds of Tokyo
  • San Cisco
  • Shockone
  • Mama Kin Spender
  • Stella Donnelly
  • Psychedelic Porn Crumpets
  • Downsyde
  • Arno Faraji

The festival is celebrating its seventh consecutive year and will be co-presented by West Australian Music (WAM).

In 2017 the WA Day Festival saw more than 115,000 people come together across the state to celebrate Western Australian’s and their achievements.

Event Publicist, Kate Naglan, said, “The festival is a collaboration derived from the desire to support, nurture and grow creative opportunities for local artists, and to further position contemporary music as a leading cultural identifier for WA.

“The popularity and awareness of SOTA continues to grow from year to year and the event is now a key feature on the WA music calendar.”

The weekend allows visitors of all ages to enjoy the free display at the Elizabeth Quay, which will be hosting many well-known artists.

“Multiple ARIA award-winning alternative rock legends Birds of Tokyo are back on home turf and ready to hit the stage at Elizabeth Quay this WA Day.

“Birds of Tokyo are no strangers to major events, having lit up the main stage of festivals from Splendour in the Grass, to Falls Festival, and performed to millions at the AFL Grand Final and the NRL’s flagship State of Origin game,” Naglan said.

Although Birds of Tokyo have not yet released their WA Day set list, they will be performing some of their greatest hits.

Local rapper and recent winner of Triple J’s Unearthed High competition, Arno Faraji, is gaining a strong following for his ‘future thinking’ tracks which he will be performing on the SOTA stage.

Rock band, Psychedelic Porn Crumpets, will be taking the main stage for WA Day. They describe their sound as, “Like sucking on a sherbet lemon, big kick, but still has a nice flavour”.

San Cisco, an indie four-piece pop band, will also bring their effortless sound and feel-good vibes to Elizabeth Quay.

If you can’t make it to SOTA this year, it will be live streamed on YouTube for all to enjoy.

WA Day takes place on the first Monday in June each year. The festival will start at 10am and will go until 9pm with licensed and non-licensed areas to accommodate all ages.

For more information on WA Day Festival this year, click here.

WA Day on the Quay