Would you ban puppy farming?

Avoid puppy farmers when buying pets

Avoid puppy farmers when buying pets

Image by Congerdesign on Pixabay

Image by Congerdesign on Pixabay

Avoid puppy farmers when buying pets

Jacob Vantuil, Reporter

If puppy farming piques your rage now is the time to speak up.

The McGowan State Government has allocated $250,000 in the 2018/19 state budget to implement a ban but it is not yet sure about the best way to make the ban work, and so it is calling for public to submit ideas, information and suggestions.

The Government wants people who care about the issue to get involved and complete a survey, read a consultation paper, make a submission and/or attend public meetings coming up in June and July around the state. The call out is here.

Regardless of whether you’re a dog or cat person, adding a new member to the family is always a joyous occasion. Purchasing a new pet is an exciting time in everybody’s life and we always want the best possible start for our newest life companions.

Unfortunately buying a pet for yourself or the family is also seen as a lucrative business opportunity for some “breeders”. Some put profit before animal welfare, raising massive litters of animals, from purebred to crossbred to miniature.

But who or what are these breeders?

They are known as puppy farms, puppy mills or puppy factories. Breeders who produce large quantities of puppies in poor and substandard conditions.

The RSPCA defines puppy farms as “an intensive dog breeding facility that is operated under inadequate conditions that fail to meet the dogs’ behavioural, social and/or physiological needs.”

The welfare problems associated with farm-bred puppies includes physiological and mental issues caused by; Extreme confinement, inadequate veterinary care, unhygienic living conditions, overcrowded housing conditions and frequent and untreated long-term health and behavioural issues.

The RSPCA strongly opposes the sale and purchase of farm-bred puppies and has put together a recommended method when looking to buy a new best friend.

How does one avoid these crooks?

When looking for a credible breeder to purchase your pooch from it’s important to keep clear of non-registered breeders (unless you know the breeder personally). The Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, as well as local councils, regulate breeding licenses. However, many breeders don’t operate as a legitimate breeding business and sell their animals off the books.

Keep in mind that puppy mills don’t always operate out of a dingy cesspool and can often have a cover-up for selling purposes.

“Puppies from puppy farms may be sold via any avenue of sale including the internet, newspaper ads, markets, car boot sales, pet shops or sometimes at the puppy farm itself. Puppy farms may also use a house as a ‘shop front’ to sell their animals from, so you don’t get to see the appalling conditions they breed dogs in,” the RSPCA said.

The RSPCA has put together a helpful buyers guide for those who are looking to get a new addition to the household. However, they do suggest looking into adoption of a puppy or an adult dog before looking for a reputable breeder.

Jacob Vantuil, Reporter
Jacob Van Tuil is a third year Media and Communication, Film and Broadcasting, student. His goal is to change the traditional way media is delivered to the wider world. With an interest in teaching and a deep understanding of how media is evolving, Jacob hopes to change people’s views of how media is seen by the...
Would you ban puppy farming?