Revelations at Luna

Luna Leederville, on the corner of Oxford and Vincent Street

Greg O'Beirne (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Greg O'Beirne (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Linton Price, Reporter

The Revelation Perth International Film Festival is back, running from Thursday, July 5 to Wednesday, July 18. The Festival has been running annually since 1997 and hosts filmmakers from around Australia and the world.

With humble origins as a small celebration of film, the Festival now attracts more than 13,000 people each year, viewing a selection of 200 films.

Richard Sowada has been a part of the Festival since the beginning, founding and directing it for 21 years, working at a variety of other screenings prior to that.

When asked about what the festival had to offer he said, “A different perspective. It’s all about looking at the craft and the world in a slightly different way. If people can see how successful you can be in taking a roll of the dice and having your individual voice heard, it might encourage them to do the same thing.

“It goes a long way in encouraging a creative and critical industry and community. That sense goes beyond cinema and into the community and culture too.”

The Festival is also holding its annual ‘Life in Pictures’ Competition, highlighting works from local people to ask questions about ageing and what it is like to grow older. As such, the competition is divided into age-based brackets for deciding winners and participants, with a 17 and under category, an 18 to 59 category, and a 60+ category.

The total prize pool is over $20,000.

If you want to get involved, entries to this year’s competition have been extended to May 30. Don’t worry if you don’t have professional equipment either, the competition will even accept films made on a mobile phone or anything else at your disposal.

“For many it’s the first time they’ve picked up a camera and done anything like this and it’s a challenge which is half the fun. There’s nothing to lose and a lot to be gained. I think another important element is the sense of community building, bringing people together to collaborate and talk about issues, it’s right at the core of what we do and demonstrated in such a micro and community-based way.”

With over 500 films to whittle down for the main competition, just how do they get through all of them?

“You start at the beginning and finish at the end! I watch them all. The very first thing I look at is composition … Then you’re left with about 40% of possible titles.

“The program director then watches them and we think about the other feature films in the program that they can go with and them we down to our final selections which is about 20% of the total number of films submitted.

“It is a subjective process but you try and let films attract each other like magnets.”

Revelations Film Festival takes place at Luna Leederville, 155-159 Oxford Street on the corner of Vincent Street.

Ticketing information is available here, and you can purchase tickets from the Luna Palace Cinema Website here or at the venue from July 1 onwards.

Revelations at Luna