Volleyball: League or social?

Pixabay

Pixabay

Yunqi Yu, Reporter

If you live in Western Australia, it’s undoubted that you will feel people’s passion for football. Whether in bars or during social events, football has always been a heated topic that connects people together.

But did you know that volleyball is also big among Western Australians?

Volleyball, as a team sport, has been a part of the official program of the Summer Olympic Games since 1964 and Communications and Marketing Coordinator of Volleyball WA, David Smith, told us “Like any sport, volleyball offers participants a fun and social way to get fit.”

He added that “the unique characteristics of volleyball is it has very few barriers and is the game for all.”

Smith said he wanted to highlight that volleyball has very already achieved gender parity and is continuing to increase its female participation rate.

According to Volleyball Australia’s AusPlay survey, volleyball is not just most gender-equal in Australia, but it is also the third biggest Olympic team sport for female participation and one of the largest team sports in terms of overall participation.

Smith also shared with us that volleyball is a growing sport and has had significant growth in Western Australia over the last few years.

“Specifically volleyball participants in Australia increased from 42569 in 2016 to 99895 in 2017 due to the inclusion of programs designed around social play.

“This year in particular, we have seen some substantial growth associated with the sport’s rising profile, a recent milestone would be the record-breaking number of junior teams that took part in the Australian junior teams that took part in the Australian Junior Beach Volleyball Championships held in Bunbury during April. In all 123 high school aged teams took part, 25 more than 2017’s record.”

You might be curious what volleyball activities you can take part in.

Smith told us that Volleyball WA is the official state administrative body for all Volleyball disciplines and is sanctioned by the Australian Volleyball Federation and the Federation International de Volleyball.

“We organize a range of fun activities and competitions, including WA Volleyball League and WA Volleyball Junior League in winter and Spikezone and Parkvolley sessions for junior athletes.”

However, if you just would like to watch a volleyball competition, there are also lots of competitions waiting for you.

“During Summer, Volleyball WA hold the Alcohol. Think Again Beach Tour which is played on WA’s best beaches.

“As the premier events for beach and indoor volleyball, these events have more than 1300 athletes participate across the two competitions.”

Therefore, whether you are an outdoor or indoor person, you can enjoy volleyball in your own way, and it’s not that hard to get started.

Smith said: “Volleyball is absolutely an easy sport. Whether you want to play on the court, at the beach or simply out the back with a balloon, volleyball is an easy sport to play.”

Volleyball: League or social?