The most fun you’ll have sitting down

The most fun you’ll have sitting down

Kayaking near Penguin Island

Kayaking near Penguin Island

Image from Rivergods

Kayaking near Penguin Island

Image from Rivergods

Image from Rivergods

Kayaking near Penguin Island

Yoshitaa Thadhani, Reporter

One of the greatest ways to enjoy the great outdoors is on the water, and Perth has many high energy fun water activities to enjoy such as surfing, jet skiing, fly boarding and more. But for something that can be a little cruisier, consider kayaking.

According to Mabel Ha from Rivergods kayaking is a great way to “find peace in the water away from the rat race … it’s the most fun you can have sitting down.”

Rivergods is a Perth-based ‘paddle adventure’ company, specializing in kayak tours, training, canoe and kayak hire, classes and team events.

If you don’t own a kayak you can rent one from About Bike Hire for $16 an hour, Funcats Watersports for $30 an hour, or Rivergods for $40-$80 a day, depending on the model you chose, and with an option for the price to come down if you hire it for longer.

Ms Ha said that kayaking is a sport for anyone, no matter what your fitness level is.

She explained that for the Rivergods tours they use double-sea kayaks that are stable and easy for beginners to paddle, but that they have other models for hire for people who want to try out what different kinds of kayaks can do.

If you are looking for some nice kayaking spots in WA, you shouldn’t miss:

• Ascot Waters: Perfect for some peace and quiet. You can enjoy the view of ponds, boardwalks and nearby parks. While also paddling past the Maylands Amateur Boat Building Yard, historic Peninsula Farm and Tranby House.
  • Mandurah Canal: With beautiful houses bordering the canal, you have high chances of kayaking next to dolphins.
  • North Fremantle: Be sure to paddle via the Joanna Street reserve, just upstream of Stirling Bridge for some amazing views of Fremantle.
  • South Perth: for great views of the city skyline, especially at sunset.
  • Kalbarri National Park: If you prefer kayaking in the river, the Murchison River at Kalbarri National Park will lead you through an outback landscape and beautiful rock formations. You may even see some wildflowers between July and October.

Paddle WA is a great resource to find some more of WA’s best and most popular paddle spots.

Remember to stay safe when entering a kayak and/or dangerous or unsafe waters. It is recommended that everyone wears a life jacket or personal floating device when on the water.

Always kayak during daylight hours and pay attention to weather and wind conditions. Also, be realistic about your paddling abilities and maybe don’t shoot any rapids on your first paddle adventure.

The most fun you’ll have sitting down