Do diabetes devices work?

Yoshitaa Thadhani, ECU Reporter

A new UWA study is testing the long term effectiveness of flash glucose monitoring devices and could possibly lead to the replacement of the needle and make it easier for diabetics to monitor their blood sugar levels.

A study is led by UWA Professor Tim Davis and research nurse Penny Dwyer.

According to Diabetes Australia 1 in 3 people with diabetes feel like “robots” with their current glucose monitoring method. This device is a small disc with a thin needle that is inserted into the arm and monitors glucose levels in real time via Bluetooth. If the blood sugar levels become dangerously low, you are quickly alerted and can treat yourself.

They also said that the ideal glucose monitoring device would offer more freedom and flexibility allowing them to monitor their glucose levels, not require them to carry around a diabetes test and not have to prick themselves with a needle.

According to an article published by Diabetes Australia in 2016, 64% of people with type 1 and 62% of type 2 diabetes said that they would like to no longer have to prick their finger. The paper reported that 280 people develop diabetes daily and roughly 1.7 million Australians currently have diabetes, and in the past year alone 100,000 Australians have developed diabetes.

The device is currently on the market however, Professor Davis and Ms Dwyer are the first to test its long term effectiveness. If this study proves effective, then the device could help people living with diabetes for $200 a month.

Researchers are currently looking for study participants who are over the age of 18 and have had low blood sugar levels confirmed by a device within the last 4 months.

To register your interest in participating in the study contact Penny Dwyer on 9431 3230 or email [email protected]  

Yoshitaa Thadhani, Reporter
Yoshitaa is 3rd year ECU student studying Communications, majoring in Broadcasting. Her interests include volunteering for events, fitness, and travel. Yosh is an aspiring broadcaster who would love to merge her interest in travel and broadcast someday. Related
Do diabetes devices work?