ECU – Satisfaction Winner

Jacob Vantuil and Venine Palm

Edith Cowan University has checked all the boxes to qualify as the nation’s first place winner among public universities for both student satisfaction and the category for teaching quality, skills development and student support.

The Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) survey, released on May 16, has placed ECU at the top for the second year in a row, outranking its public university rivals throughout the nation.

ECU scored an 85.3% average for student satisfaction and the overall quality of students’ educational experience, an amount that was well over the 79.3% national average.

If QILT is unknown to you, let us explain.

QILT is a website designed to help students make informed decisions about where they would like to study. It allows students to compare institutions such as ECU against others based on experiences of real students and graduates.

The survey focuses on three main areas to recommended an institution over another:

• Students’ satisfaction with key aspects of their study experience, such as teaching quality, learning resources and support services.
  • Graduates’ satisfaction with their course.
  • Graduates’ employment and further study outcomes, including information on the proportion of graduates finding work and median salaries.

Professor Arshad Omari, ECU’s Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor, said: “ECU is very proud of these results, which continue to reinforce 11 years of five-star ratings for the student experience from the Good Universities Guide.”

Asked for the secret of ECU’s success, he said: “The key reason is that ECU academic and professional staff are dedicated to the success of our students. This is evidenced by regular feedback we receive about the approachability and accessibility of staff at ECU relative to other organisations.”

Although ECU has taken the top rank for student satisfaction, other WA universities have also impressed by raking above the national average of 79.3%. Curtin University came close second by scoring an average of 80.2%, Murdoch scored 80.1% and UWA scored 78.3%.

Mason Allen, ex-UWA and current ECU student, said: “It’s definitely a friendlier campus which satisfies, it’s still a little strange finding out the technicals and stuff, but there’s definitely help there and they’re very friendly.”

The Federal Education Department of Australia funds the QILT research, which is done by the Social Research Centre at the ANU. The QILT data comes from the Student Experience Survey (SES), the only current comprehensive survey of higher education in Australia.

The full QILT results are available here at www.qilt.edu.au.

ECU – Satisfaction Winner