Deadpool 2 puts the comic in comic book

Jacob Wall, ECU Reporter

[SPOILER ALERT] This review of Deadpool 2 contains spoilers! If you’re wondering if it’s worth seeing without having to read the article due to the spoilers, yes it is!

Sony’s Deadpool 2, directed by David Leitch is the newest Marvel Comics film to hit the big screen, and it shows that a Marvel film doesn’t have to be part of Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe to be extremely entertaining and successful.

Deadpool, in my opinion, hands down has the funniest and raunchiest characters in the entire Marvel Universe, and this second film showcases this well, but doesn’t forget the importance of character building and storyline.

It is clear that Deadpool actor Ryan Reynolds has a real passion for this role, as he nails all the classic characteristics that Deadpool had in the comics. In the film, he breaks the “fourth wall” with ease throughout the movie. Breaking the fourth wall is something that is rarely used in cinema; it is when a character speaks directly to the audience. The Deadpool franchise does this as a direct response to the characters comic book past, where the ‘Merc with a Mouth’ would talk directly to the readers, mid-fight or within a confrontation scene.

Despite this film being fantastic I still had two major problems with it.

For starters, like it is with most Marvel films these days (Thor: Ragnarok for example) sometimes everything is just too much. In almost every scene in Deadpool 2, there was an explosion or someone getting their head cut off, and I believe by having these moments so consistently, it takes away the shock factor or dark comedy/ humor behind it. However, I understand why the writers and director did it this way, as Deadpool is meant to be this erratic and somewhat unstable character, so in that sense it does work.

Secondly, and major spoiler here, having Morena Baccarin’s character of Wade Wilson’s (Deadpool’s alias) fiancée Vanessa, die in the first 20 minutes of the film, pretty much made the story of the first film meaningless.

Deadpool spent the entire first film trying to win Vanessa back, so for her just die is quite annoying and felt rather empty. On the other hand, it does develop the storyline as it brings Deadpool closer to Josh Brolin’s character (Cable) as they both share similar loses.

The film begins with Deadpool’s big loss, with the death of soon to be pregnant fiancée Vanessa. This gives Deadpool a personal mission throughout the film, as all he wants to do is be in heaven with Vanessa, but when he sees her in a vision she says that he needs to “get his heart in the right place” in order for them to be together when he dies.

His negative state of mind leads him to Professor X’s school for mutants, where he reunites with a significant character from the first film, Colossus (voiced by Stefan Kapicic). Colossus convinces him to become a trainee X-Man, with their first mission being trying to calm down a deranged young mutant named Russell (aka Firefist). Russell is a key character in this film and is played by New Zealand actor Julian Dennison.

After discovering that to “get his heart in the right place” means that he must protect Russell from the pursuing Cable, he also learns that the reason Cable is trying to kill this 14-year-old mutant, is because when he grows older, Russell is the man who murders Cable’s wife and daughter.

Deadpool’s attempt to save Russell a second time, leads to one of the films most entertaining scenes, where Deadpool and Sister Margaret’s bartender Weasel (T.J. Miller) carry out auditions to be a part of “X-Force”. This is a team from the comics that is an offshoot of the original X-Men. They are a more militant and aggressive group of mutants.

This scene sees cameos from well-renowned actors like Brad Pitt as The Vanisher, Terry Crews as Bedlam, and Bill Skarsgard as Zeitgeist. However, the most outstanding character from this group is Zazie Beetz’ character of Domino, who seems to be an extremely strong female character. I can definitely see a reprisal of her role when Deadpool 3 comes around.

When Deadpool and Cable eventually find mutual ground, they come head-to-head with a more dominant and surprising supervillain known as Juggernaut. Juggernaut has not been in any Marvel film since X-Men 3: The Last Stand, when Vinnie Jones played him. However, this time around the ginormous character was portrayed from motion capture and was voiced by Ryan Reynolds himself.

Juggernaut was not teased in any of the Deadpool 2 trailers, and there were no leaks revealed during shooting, so to see the inclusion of this character was a positively surprising one, especially if you’re a fan of the X-Men characters and back stories.

The film also included five end credit scenes, in typical Marvel movie fashion. The first saw Brianna Hildebrand’s Negasonic Teenage Warhead fixing Cable’s time travel device, as he used all of its charges to get to the present day to find Russell. She reluctantly gives the device to Deadpool.

The next scene goes back to the Vanessa death scene, but this time Wade saves Vanessa’s life. This is also quite annoying as Wade’s character throughout the whole film was driven around the death of his fiancée, and for her to come back alive after the credits may be confusing for the average fan when watching the next film in which Vanessa is completely fine. The writers, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick confirmed on Reddit that this post-credit scene was in fact canon, so therefore it is a part of the actual storyline.

The third one saw Deadpool go back in time and save the lives of X-Force member Peter. This may mean that he saved the lives of all the other members too after their hilarious deaths.

The fourth post-credit scene was by far my favorite as it goes back in time to the 2009 X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie, where current day Deadpool shoots and kills the Deadpool in that film (then just known as Wade Wilson) but also played by Ryan Reynolds, before his showdown with Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine. This was such a great post-credit scene and was in response to the huge criticism that this poor portrayal and wrong misinterpretation of the Deadpool character received.

The final post-credit scene saw Ryan Reynolds reading the script for the 2011 DC Comics film Green Lantern, which he starred in. He states, “Finally hit the big league, kid” before Deadpool appears behind him and shoots him in the back of the head. Green Lantern was Reynolds last superhero movie before Deadpool, and it was considered a huge disappointment among DC Comic and superhero fans alike.

This was a hilarious way of acknowledging the bad choice Reynolds made by acting in this film and showed that he has really found his calling as the Deadpool character.

Overall, this film was incredibly enjoyable throughout, with every character having something different to like about. This film focussed more on the story and comic book backgrounds than its prequel, and it is something that this franchise really needed, as the average cinema fan may not know who Deadpool is, in comparison to more well-known heroes like Spider-Man, Batman, and Ironman.

I highly recommend this film for both nerdy, superhero lovers like myself and for those who just enjoy an entertaining action-comedy.

Jacob Wall, Reporter

Jacob Wall is an aspiring broadcast journalist and filmmaker with a passion to creatively distribute the most significant and relevant news stories through a variety of media. Currently in his third year at Edith Cowan University studying a Bachelor of Media and Communication, with a double major of Film and Video and Broadcasting, Jacob wishes to integrate his loves of cinema and pop culture with the world of journalism in order to become an entertainment media reporter.

Deadpool 2 puts the comic in comic book