ArtsHUM: This is what I can do.

ArtsHUM: This is what I can do.

Photo artist Ka Kei Mak

Photo artist Ka Kei Mak

By Emily Goldsmith

Photo artist Ka Kei Mak

By Emily Goldsmith

By Emily Goldsmith

Photo artist Ka Kei Mak

Only a high score gets you in – but at the end of it, only the best ideas get produced, so says Dr George Karpathakis, a film lecturer in school of Arts and Humanities, speaking about students in the Independent Studies unit whose work is on show at ArtsHUM tonight.

He said Independent Studies is a unit where students who have completed their majors can take their ambitions further – with benchmark projects that highlight their talents.

Modelled on Honours; it gives film makers, visual artists, painters, journalists and radio announcers the platform to explore and create and to show their industries what they can do. He said this often leads to  exciting jobs and business opportunities,with one of the current graduates about to hop on a plane to do an internship in the United States.

Another 2018 Independent Studies student, Holly Ferguson, produced a captivating 25 minute radio documentary on male impersonators, while students from arts backgrounds have portrait paintings on show and films being screened.

Holly Ferguson

Dr Kapatharkis said Independent studies was a particularly good choice for students interested in doing post graduate studies.

The film industry students in Independent Studies this year produced short films being screened ArtsHUM: six dramas, one dance and one animation, focusing on topics such as “the last video store”.

In another display, the rawness of everyday life in Hong Hong is brought to life. The culture and character of China’s SAR (wet market) is displayed in living colour shot on a Canon 6D by ECU graduate Ka Kei Mak, reminding West Australians of how this world is so different, so wonderful.

Award winning Bleed Honey

Inspired by Canadian artist and photographer Petra Collins, film and photography student, Eden Barlow’s final work is hard to miss. Titled Bleed Honey, Barlow’s images are illuminated by colour and focuses heavily on femininity and the female coming-of-age experience.

“I really like playing with lighting,” Eden tells us, which is immediately apparent in her work. However there is one photograph that particularly stands out. Placed centrally amongst her work, is a photograph of a pad smeared with strawberry jam accompanied by the famous line from the film ‘Carrie’, “They’re all gonna laugh at you”. Milling around the Spectrum Gallery, it is clear to see that this image is one that provokes thought and sparks conversation.

By Emily Goldsmith
Artist Eden Barlow

ArtsHUM is the ECU Arts Graduate show. It’s on tonight, November 29, at the Mt Lawley campus.

ArtsHUM: This is what I can do.