What’s on: Outdoor activities

What’s on: Outdoor activities

Kings Park, Botanical Gardens (CC BY-SA 2.0)

Photo by Pedro Szekely

Photo by Pedro Szekely

Photo by Pedro Szekely

Bridget Turner, Reporter

We’re half way through March and Autumn is bringing cooler weather. The change in conditions is no excuse to stay indoors. Here are some outdoor activities to keep you busy in the months to come.

John Forrest National Park

Only a half hour drive from Perth, John Forrest National Park is one of Australia’s oldest conservation areas. Open every day it offers many opportunities to explore the native flora and fauna, with lookout points, and it is home to two waterfalls.  While they may not be overflowing after summer they still make a picturesque outlook. A small entry fee is required. For further information click here

Kings Park free guided tours

In the heart of the city, Kings Park boasts a 400-hectare park with several different walks to explore it. The free guided tours start at the information centre at 10am or 2pm every day. The tours allow a chance to discover the history of the park, Perth and the many memorials in the park. With an outlook over the city and the Swan River, it is a great chance for some Instagram shots. There is a free bus service that runs from the park for ease and convenience. For further information click here

Serpentine National Park

About an hour drive south-east from Perth, the Serpentine National Park boasts a plethora of activities. If heading for the falls (where you can swim), it is best to arrive before 10am because if you go on a busy day they will close it off once it reaches capacity. There are many walking trails, and lots of birds and wildlife to see, along with native flora. As with all national parks, a small entrance fee will be required. For further information click here

Bells Rapids

Located in Brigadoon, around a 40 minute drive out of Perth, it offers either a 5.5km walking trail or a 2.5km shorter one. Coming out of summer the rapids will not be so strong and can be a nice way to cool off. The walking trails are suitable for all abilities and offer panoramic views throughout. The area is home to the grey kangaroo so you might be able to spot one or two. For further information click here

Lancelin sand dunes

An hour and a half drive north of Perth not only do the sand dunes offer great views, but they also offer sandboarding. So take a boarding device, it can be as simple as a big piece of cardboard, and you can ride the dunes ’til your heart’s content. Access to the dunes is free, so you can make a day of it. For further information click here

Lesmurdie Falls

With multiple walking trails, Lesmurdie Falls gives you ample opportunity to be active while enjoying the scenery. On a clear day, the views allow you to have a lookout of Perth city and Rottnest Island. The different walking trails vary in difficulty allowing the walker to choose one that is best for them. For further information click here

Dolphin swims

Just a short drive to Rockingham and you have the opportunity to swim with dolphins. The season runs from September to June. This activity comes with a price tag of a minimum cost of $205. The activity has everything included for your day out on the sea. For more information on prices click here

Bridget Turner, Reporter

Bridget is a young journalist who enjoys learning about the world around her and the positive impact she can have in her local community. In her free time...

What’s on: Outdoor activities