PREVIEW: The Body Politic

PREVIEW: The Body Politic

The Body Politic

The Body Politic

Photo by Christophe Canato

The Body Politic

Photo by Christophe Canato

Photo by Christophe Canato

The Body Politic

Julian Vicentini, Reporter

An exciting triple bill of new imaginative and contemporary dance workshops is currently in rehearsal at the LINK Dance Company.

LINK is the graduate dance organisation based at the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA).

After hours of development, The Body Politic is set to hit WAAPA’s Geoff Gibbs Theatre from May 22-24 at 7:30pm with an afternoon show on Saturday May 25 at 2pm.

“Collectively we are powerful,” is the theme of the show according to Michael Whaites, the Artistic Director of LINK Dance Company.

The Body Politic is was choreographed by visiting Israeli artist Niv Marinberg, Co3 founding Artistic Director Raewyn Hill, and the first Australian to win a prestigious Pina Bausch Fellowship, WAAPA graduate Scott Elstermann.

In Marinberg’s original piece, Chasing Breath, he explores how time is perceived and the way emotion and breath affects it.

Marinberg’s international profile includes working as rehearsal director and tour manager for L-E-V Company, and the Israeli dance ensemble created by Sharon Eyal and Gai Behar. The choreographer has also taught all around the world at dance companies and academies. As well as working as assistant manager at StaatsOper Berlin, Royal Danish Opera, Banch National Compania de Chile, Luzern Theater, Israeli Opera House and Kibbutz Contemporary Dance Company.

WAAPA graduate, Elstermann, is a rising choreographer and dancer. He is behind the final work in The Body Politic. The final piece is called Shrink and it contains original music from WAAPA Lecturer, Michael Terren.

Elstermann took out the Palisade Award for the most outstanding graduate of WAAPA’s Bachelor of Arts (Dance) course in 2014. He has also been awarded a 2018 Pina Bausch Fellowship for Dance and Choreography, making him the first Australian and youngest-ever recipient of this award. These achievements and accomplishments helped Elstermann into a placement with Spanish choreographer Marina Mascarell. He will accompany her to dance in companies including the internationally recognised Nederlands Dans Theater.

Elstermann, is very passionate about this upcoming recital, and said: “The piece examines ideas of power, autonomy and conformity through a flexible and diminishing space.”

The LINK dancers, this year made up solely of WAAPA graduates, are ready to set the stage and impress in the production The Body Politic. After the performances in Perth, the dancers will travel to France later in the year.

PERFORMANCE INFORMATION

GEOFF GIBBS THEATRE, ECU, 2 Bradford St, Mount Lawley.

Tickets $28 / $23 Concession and Friends.

Wed 22, Thu 23, Fri 24 May at 7.30pm, Matinee Sat 25 May at 2.00pm.

To buy tickets, call (08) 9370 6895 or to buy online, click here.

Julian Vicentini, Reporter

Julian is an aspiring broadcasting and journalism student who’s passionate about presenting and reporting live and accurate media. Julian has been a...

PREVIEW: The Body Politic