Decade long event still excites Perth

Cottesloe beach sets the scene for the 10th anniversary of Sculptures by the Sea.

Created by Jimmy Rix from NSW.

Ambra Fossati

Created by Jimmy Rix from NSW.

Ambra Fossati, Student reporter

This sculpture was created by Debbie Harding from England.

The 10th anniversary of the Sculptures by the Sea event has once again captured the imagination of Perthites. Sculptures ranging from a wave of Barbie dolls to a 15m wide goon-bag to solar-powered light installations are on show at Cottesloe beach.

This year’s event welcomed 25 international artists and 48 Australian artists exhibiting their masterpieces in the popup free-to-the-public sculpture park.

An estimated 220,000 people are expected to visit the 10th anniversary of Sculptures by the Sea. A free shuttle bus from Cottesloe train station to the beach will be provided to assist event goers.

However, Sculpture by the Sea has not gone without difficulties in the lead up to this year’s celebration.  After a failed bid to lure major sponsors the event was saved by Hancock Prospecting, who donated a confidential six-figure sum. This meant that for the first time a substantial prize of  $50,000 was available to be awarded to the winner of the Roy Hill Sculpture prize.

Japanese artist, Hiroyuki Kita, won the Roy Hill Sculpture Prize for his entry, “Like a flower swaying in the wind”. The award entitles that particular art piece to be exhibited for 10 years, plus the $50,000 in prize money.

Mr Kita told The West Australian that the award was a pleasant surprise.

About the Contributor
Ambra Fossati, Student Journalist
At least six people have been confirmed dead and others are seriously injured in the aftermath of the 8.2 magnitude Chilean earthquake.
Decade long event still excites Perth