Hugh Jackman gives back to WAAPA

Hugh Jackman gives back to WAAPA

Hugh Jackman posing with memorabilia from his time at WAAPA

WAAPA

WAAPA

WAAPA

Ellie Blackmore, Student Reporter

Twenty years after graduating, Hugh Jackman returned to WAAPA this weekend to launch the Jackman Furness Foundation for the Performing Arts (JFFPA).

The X-Men star was given a red-carpet welcome back to the academy that transformed him from an acting student to a Hollywood superstar.

A number of dignitaries attended the launch including Govenor Malcolm McCusker, Premier Colin Barnett, cricket legend Adam Gilchrist, designer Aurellio Costarella as well as WAAPA staff and students.

Jackman and his wife Deborra-Lee Furness, have set up the foundation to ‘give back’ to the performing arts industry that helped them get to where they are today.

“I can tell you with absolute certainty, there is no way my career would be what it is or that I would be standing in this capacity on this stage if it wasn’t for this institution of WAAPA,” he said.

WAAPA will be the inaugural and principal recipient of funding from the foundation however, over time the foundation will support a number of other beneficiaries that teach and support upcoming performers.

“The Foundation wants to make sure we support this institution and other arts institutions,” he said during his speech in WAAPA’s Roundhouse Theatre.

“We have to nurture it, that’s what the foundation is going to do.

“We’re also going to have visiting teaching fellowships, we want to support international internships, and there’s many many other special projects.”

The foundation hopes to raise $10 million in its first four years.

More than $2 million dollars has already been raised after Jackman and his wife matched a $1 million donation from mining magnate Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest and wife Nicola.

He says that it is the passion for education that he shares with his father that makes this foundation so important to him.

He recalled a decision to turn down a two-year contract on Neighbours to attend WAAPA as a tough one at first — but one that he does not regret one bit.

“”I asked myself, at the end of two years of Neighbours, would I feel like I deserved an audition with the Royal Shakespeare Company… and the answer was no,” he said.

“But when I asked myself the same question about WAAPA, the answer was resoundingly yes.”

Hugh Jackman joined by trustee Geoff Micheal and founding patron Jack Thompson during a media Q & A.

Legendary Australian screen actor Dr Jack Thompson also expressed renowned support for the foundation after being named as the founding patron.

The Great Gatsby and Star Wars actor said although no such acting schools were around when his career began, he was very passionate about the vision of this foundation describing it as ‘a great honor’ to be a part of.

“Over 10% of all people working in the international film industry,” he said.

“That’s the import of this institution and the import of its excellence. That excellence is what Hugh and I discuss as needing support so that it might continue and grow.”

Jackman concluded the launch with a rendition of Peter Allen’s ‘I still call Australia home’ accompanied by a number of WAAPA students.

From here he will head home to attend his son’s 14th birthday party before returning to LA for the premier of his latest movie; X-Men: Days of Future Past.

About the Contributor
Ellie Blackmore, Student Reporter

Ellie Blackmore aspires to combine her passion for sport with a career in journalism. When she's not playing soccer you'll probably find her watching the...

Hugh Jackman gives back to WAAPA